Sunday 27 February 2011

tale of tales

   When I came across the independent company tale of tales i knew straight away they were directing to new and unique art styles; it was like Id seen something thats never came across to me before, very fresh and different; like Limbo for example it was unexpected.
   I liked the games for their different Art styles but wasn't too keen on the gameplay of some of them for example The Graveyard. My opinion on this game was I thought it was very unpleasant because of finding out that if you were to buy the game the only difference is that the old women can die during play and nothing else, I was quite shocked by this and thinking that you are paying for death, the concept of it isn't very nice if you think about it to be honest.
Although the art style is very nice, like for example theres no sense of colour just black and white so this added to the effect of being old fashioned or even lifeless because your set in a graveyard and the atmosphere should be quite lonesome/deserted. So this I thought was quite effective to know just by colour; using it as a visual to also recognize where you are even if the graves do catch your eye first.

   Secondly I came across another of tale of tales games which was called The path; which was suppose to be horror but I haven't played the full game only the demo so I don't fully know what the game is like so Im not going to criticize because i don't have the full experience but from my perspective of the demo it was very straight forward: follow the path until you get to a cottage then the demo ends, if you avoid the path and walk into the woods you find and collect little icons but nevertheless if you avoid the path too much you respawn back onto the path but where the demo ends.
Again the art style is really nice. coming to the end of the demo the environment changes colour and turns purple, not expecting this I thought it to be a nice and effective feature and probably giving the atmosphere that something is going to happen but again it being the demo it ends there so maybe its persuasion to wheel in people that have played the demo to buy the full game.


No comments:

Post a Comment